Holywell cum Needingworth, Huntingdonshire
Holywell-cum-Needingworth, a parish, containing the village of Holywell and the large hamlet of Needingworth, Huntingdonshire. Holywell village stands near the river Ouse and the boundary with Cambridge, 1½ mile E by S from St Ives station on the G.E., G.N., and Midland Joint railway, and Needingworth hamlet lies nearly 2 miles NE by E from that station, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Ives. The name Holywell was taken from a spring which rises in the churchyard, and which in earlier times was much frequented by devotees. The parish comprises 2911 acres; population, 672. The manor-house is now used as a farmhouse. Numerous fragments of Roman pottery have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, j£240 with residence. The church, which is a building of stone in the Early English style, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. A large Baptist chapel was built at Needingworth in 1861, and a Wesleyan chapel in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holywell St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1667: Walter Huke was rector here 1512-17 and Master of Trinity Hall; some entries being in the autograph of Thomas Tenison, Bishop of Lincoln (1691-4), Archbishop of Canterbury (1695-1716), and sometime rector of this parish.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, standing on an eminence which overlooks the meadows bordering on the Ouse, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells, 4 of which are inscribed: there are 220 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holywell cum Needingworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holywell (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.