Holme, a village and a parish (formerly united to Glatton) in Peterborough union, Huntingdonshire, on Holme Brook and on the G.N.R., 7 miles S from Peterborough, with a station on the railway, and a post office under Peterborough; money order office, Stilton; telegraph office, Holme railway station. Acreage, 4435; population, 627. The manor, with Holme Wood House, formerly belonged to the Wells family, but after the death of the late Mr Wm. Wells the property was bought by Lord de Ramsey. The surface is mainly fen land, and includes a great part of what was formerly Whittlesea-mere, which has been drained and brought into cultivation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value,, £204. The church, a building of stone in the Gothic style, was rebuilt in 1862, and includes in its interior a portion of the old church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A new cemetery of about one acre was formed in 1912.
The register dates from the year 1683.
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The church of St. Giles, rebuilt and enlarged in 1862, is an edifice of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a turret on the western gable, containing 2 bells: the pulpit is of alabastar: some Norman pillars and arches from the old building were replaced on the rebuilding of the church: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holme)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.