Hilton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands near Ermine Street and the boundary with Cambridge, 3¼ miles SSW of St Ives town and station on the M., G.E., and G.N. Joint railway, and has a post office under St Ives; money order and telegraph office, Fenstanton. The parish comprises 1326 acres; population, 300. The manor belongs to the Ingle family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £100. The church, a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. An obelisk to the memory of W. Sparrow, of date 1641, is on the village green.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hilton St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from about the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalene (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells and a clock: the interior has been restored at a cost of about £300 and the church was reopened Sept. 1889: the south aisle and the tower were restored in 1901, and the chancel in 1909: there are 240 sittings.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1867.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hilton (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.