UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hemingford Abbots, Huntingdonshire

Historical Description

Hemingford Abbots, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, 2½ miles W from St Ives, and 3 E from Huntingdon. St Ives is the nearest railway station. There is a post office under St Ives; money order and telegraph office, Hemingford Grey. The parish comprises 2421 acres; population, 354. The manor was given, in the time of Canute, by Bishop Ethelric to Ramsey Abbey; and went, after the dissolution, to the Pages and the Barnards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £350. The church is an ancient building in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and contains a tomb of one of the abbots of the Benedictine abbey of Ramsey. Hemingford House is a mansion of white brick, standing in a fine park of 120 acres.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHuntingdonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishHemingford Abbots St. Margaret 
HundredToseland 
Poor Law unionSt. Ives 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1693.


Churches

Church of England

St. Margaret (parish church)

The church of St. Margaret is an ancient structure, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays with clerestory, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and spire and containing a clock and 6 bells, rehung, in 1894, at a cost of £200: a portion of the nave roof is curiously painted: in the chancel is a tomb, much defaced, of one of the Abbots of the Benedictine abbey of Ramsey in this county: the south aisle retains a piscina: on the north wall of the chancel is a marble tablet inscribed to Joshua Barns, d. Aug. 3, 1712: there are three memorial windows - to the Linton family, formerly of Hemingford Park, to Dr. Frederick Douglas, d. 5 Jan. 1873, and to the Rev. Henry Herbert, rector 1867-1911: there are 300 sittings. In the churchyard is a stone coffin, dug up in the rectory field in 1872.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hemingford Abbots from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.

DistrictHuntingdonshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtPE28
Post TownHuntingdon