Hartford, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, on Ermine Street and the river Ouse, 1½ mile E of Huntingdon station, with a post office under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Huntingdon. The parish includes Sapley, once a royal forest, and has an area of 1878 acres; population, 389. Many ancient coins and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £t47 with residence. The church is partly Norman, belonged to the Augustinian friary of Huntingdon, has two aisles and a tower, underwent repair in 1861, and was then found to include stone coffins, mural paintings, and other interesting objects of the Saxon and Norman times. The great tithes and the patronage formed part of the marriage settlement of Oliver Cromwell's wife, Elizabeth Bourchier.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hartford All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone, erected in the Norman period, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the church underwent repairs in the year 1861: the east window and all those in the south aisle are stained: during the repairs of the church in 1861 various remains of Saxon and Norman date were discovered, including mural paintings and stone coffins: there are 150 sittings.
There is a small chapel, used in common by the Baptists and Congregationalists, and seating 120 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description for Hartford from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839
We have transcribed the entry for Hartford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hartford (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.