Hamerton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands on Alconbury brook, 9 miles NW from Huntingdon, and 7 SE from Bamwell station on the L. & N.W.R., and has a post office under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Alconbury. The parish comprises 2184 acres; population, 179. The lord of the manor is sole landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £24.4: with residence. The church is Early English and very good, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and battlemented tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hamerton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1752.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a fine edifice of rubble stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western battlemented tower containing 4 bells: the modern stone pulpit is adorned with carvings of the Four Evangelists: the church was restored in 1864, at an expense of about £2,000: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hamerton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hamerton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.