Hail Weston, Huntingdonshire
Hail Weston, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands near the river Rym, and near the boundary with Beds, 2½ miles NW from St Neots station on the G.N.R., and has a post office under St Neots; money order and telegraph office, St Neots. The parish comprises 1590 acres; population of the civil parish, 307; of the ecclesiastical, with Southoe, 530. The manor belongs to Edward Reynolds, Esq. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Southoe, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross value, £300 with residence. The church, which is a small building of rubble, brick, and wood, was restored in 1884. There is an endowed Baptist chapel. There are some mineral springs here which are used by a company for the manufacture of aerated waters.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hail-Weston St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is a small edifice of rubble, brick and wood, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave under one roof, porch on the south side, and a wooden tower at the west end covered with oak shingles and containing 3 bells: the stained east window was erected by Henry Shadforth esq. to the memory of his wife, who died on October 21st, 1913: the church was thoroughly restored in 1884, at a cost of £1,000, raised by voluntary contributions: there are 140 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1757, with an endowment for the maintenance of the minister.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hail Weston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hail-Weston (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.