Haddon, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, between Billing Brook and Ermine Street, near the boundary with Northampton, 3 miles NW by N from Stilton, and 3 SW from Overton station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stilton, under Peterborough. Acreage of the civil parish, 1224; population, 81; of the ecclesiastical, with Chesterton, 205. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Chesterton, in the diocese of Ely; joint net value, £550 with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Huntley. The Marquis of Huntley, J.P., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The church is Norman and Early English, and has a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haddon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1540.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small and ancient edifice of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles. south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel arch is Norman: in 1901 the church was partly restored, at a cost of £1,000: an oak and stone pulpit was added in 1910: there are 70 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haddon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haddon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.