Great Staughton, Huntingdonshire
Staughton, Great, a village and a parish, with the hamlets of Agden Green, Dillington, Staughton Moor, and West Perry, in Hunts, 5 miles NNW from St Neots station on the G.N.R. main line. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Neots. Acreage, 6407; population, 957. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Staughton House is a good country mansion surrounded by a park of over 500 acres, and Gaynes Hall is a handsome mansion standing in a well-wooded park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £370 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Oxford. The church is an embattled building of cobble stones in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with chapel and vestry, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower. It has some interesting tombs and monuments. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staughton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Staughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Staughton, Great (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.