UK Genealogy Archives logo

Great Paxton, Huntingdonshire

Historical Description

Paxton, Great, a parish, with a village, in Hunts, on the river Ouse, 2 miles SSW of Offord station on the G.N. main line, and 3 NNE of St Neot's. It lias a post office under St Neot's; money order and telegraph office, Offord D'Arcy. Acreage, 1407; population of the civil parish, 262; of the ecclesiastical, with Little Paxton, St James, and Toseland,

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHuntingdonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishPaxton Holy Trinity 
HundredToseland 
Poor Law unionSt. Neots 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register, partially including Toseland, dates from the year 1583.


Churches

Church of England

The Holy Trinity (parish church)

The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone and pebbles, probably in the Saxon and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a peal of 5 bells, restored, and the treble bell recast, in 1896, at a cost of £150: the fine oak reredos was presented by Mr. Hamer Towgood as a memorial to his three sisters, who died in this parish: the interior was restored in the year 1880, at a cost of about £1,000, under the directon of the late Mr. Ewan Christian and of Mr. G. C. Streatfield, architects, of London: there are 216 sittings.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Paxton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.

DistrictHuntingdonshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtPE19
Post TownSt. Neots