Great Gidding, Huntingdonshire
Gidding, Great, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, on Alconbury brook, adjacent to Northamptonshire, 6 miles SW by S of Stilton, and 5½ SW of Holrne station on the G.N.R., with a post office under Peterboro'; money order and telegraph office, Sawtry. Acreage, 2348; population, 445. The manor belonged formerly to the Eugaines and to the Earls of Rockingham, and belongs now to G. C. Wont-worth Fitzwilliam, Esq., J.P. The living is a vicarage, consolidated in 1875 with that of Little Gidding; joint net yearly value, £230 with residence. The church, a building in the Early English style, was restored in 1870. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and there is a school supported by the Fitzwilliam family. In the village are the kennels of the Fitzwilliam Hunt.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gidding St.Michael|
|Poor Law union||Oundle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1579; marriages, 1564; burials, 1572.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with lofty spire, containing 5 bells: the stained east window was erected in 1869 by R. B. Hatfield M.D. in memory of the Hatfield family, and there are three other stained windows: the church retains a curious holy water stoup resembling a Norman capital: the church was restored in 1870, at a cost of about £1,885, raised by subscription: there are 250 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel.
There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Gidding from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gidding, Great (St.Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.