UK Genealogy Archives logo

Graffham, Huntingdonshire

Historical Description

Graffham, a parish in Hunts, on the Kettering and Cambridge branch of the M.R., 4½ miles ENE of Kimbolton. It has a railway station, and includes part of East Perry hamlet. Post town, St Neots; money order and telegraph office, Ellington. Acreage, 1927; population, 276. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £with residence. Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church is ancient but good, consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, and has a western tower with broach spire. There is a small Baptist chapel at East Perry.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHuntingdonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishGraffham All Saints 
Poor Law unionSt. Neots 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1555.


Church of England

All Saints (parish church)

The church of All Saints is a structure of cobble stone with free stone dressings and details, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, south porch (rebuilt in 1902) and a western tower with stair turret at the south-east angle, containing 3 bells: the upper stage of the tower is octagonal, and is surmounted by pinnacles and a lofty broach spire relieved by two tiers of dormers: in the chancel is a fine double piscina: the north aisle has an arcade of four arches, and at its east end are the entrance and stairs to the rood-loft, and a small projecting piscina: the arcade of the chapel has two arches only, above which, in the roof, are two curious dormer windows; in the chapel is another piscina: in 1894 a carved oak reredos was presented by the Rev. E. H. Vernon, rector here 1893-5, in memory of his wife: there are sittings for 230 persons.


Baptist chapel, East Perry

At East Perry, part of a hamlet 2 miles south, is a small Baptist chapel, built in 1841, and renovated in 1899, at a cost of £170

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Graffham from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.