UK Genealogy Archives logo

Fleet Marston, Buckinghamshire

Historical Description

Marston, Fleet, or Fleet Marston, a parish in Bucks, 3 miles NW of Aylesbury station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Aylesbury. Acreage, 934; population, 51, according to the census of 1891, but this is believed to exceed the present population. The parish consists of three farms and a few cottages. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £140. The church, a small edifice of stone chiefly in the Early Decorated style, was restored in 1868-69.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBuckinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishMarston-Fleet St. Mary 
HundredAshendon 
Poor Law unionAylesbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1630.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The parish church of St. Mary is a small but ancient building of stone chiefly in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, with fine 15th century roof, north porch and a western turret containing one bell: the stained east window was the gift of Mrs. Bickersteth, wife of the Very Rev. Edward Bickersteth D.D. Archdeacon of Buckingham 1853-75, and subsequently Dean of Lichfield: the font is cylindrical and quite plain: the church was thoroughly restored in 1868-90 at a total cost of between £700 and £800: the pulpit and all the chancel fittings are of oak: a carred oak lectern was erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 50 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Fleet Marston was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fleet Marston from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Fleet Marston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online

DistrictAylesbury Vale
CountyBuckinghamshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtHP18
Post TownAylesbury