Glatton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Stilton, and 3¼ WSW of Holme station on the G.N.R, and has a post office under Peterborough; money order and telegraph office, Sawtry. Acreage, 2176; population, 216. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £400 with, residence. The church is Early English with square tower. It was restored in 1869. Glatton Hall is a fine mansion of brick standing in well-wooded grounds.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Glatton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1578.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, which stands nearly in the centre of the village, is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north transept and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1869, at a cost of £1,000, raised by subscription: in 1885 a clock striking the hours was placed in the tower at a cost of £50, defrayed by subscriptions, and in 1887 a stained window was erected in the south aisle to the 9th Lord Sherard J.P. d. 1886: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glatton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Glatton (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.