Folksworth, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, adjacent to Billingbrook at the boundary with Northamptonshire, U mile NW of Stilton, and 4½ miles NW by W of Holme station on the G.N.R. Post town, Peterborough; money order and telegraph office, Stilton. Acreage, 896; population, 173. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £90 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Gothic style, was partially rebuilt in 1850.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Folksworth St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1563.
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The church of St. Helens, standing on an eminence at a short distance from the village, is a building of stone, chiefly in the Gothic style, but containing a Norman north doorway and Norman chancel arch, and consists of chancel, nave, lady chapel, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: the chancel was rebuilt in 1850 at the expense of the Rev. Henry Freeman M.A. rector from 1838: the chalice is dated 1569: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Folksworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Folksworth (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.