Fletton, a parish in Huntingdonshire, on the navigable river Nene, and at the boundary with Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire, 1 mile SSE of Peterborough. It has the Peterborough Joint station for the G.E.I—., L. & N.W.R., and M.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Peterborough. Acreage, 852; population, 2194. The manor belonged to Peterborough Abbey, and passed to the Flettons and the Probys. It now belongs to the trustees of the late Thomas 'Mills, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £320 with residence. The church is an ancient building of Bamack stone in various styles. New Fletton, a hamlet of this parish, was incorporated with the borough of Peterborough in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fletton St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of about 4 acres, with a mortuary chapel, was opened in 1893.
The parish register dates from the year 1616, but entries from 1606 have been copied into it: there are no entries from 1642 to 1648.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret is an ancient structure of Barnack stone, consisting of chancel with north aisle of two bays, clerestoried nave with aisles, south porch and a western tower with octagonal broach spire containing a clock, erected in commemorntion of the Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, and 3 bells: the oldest features are two figures of saints embedded in the south wall of the chancel, and some singular and grotesque frieze designs inserted in the adjoining angle buttress, exhibiting interlaced carving; a cross of the same period with sculptured animals and the inscription "Radulphus Filius Wilielmi" much defaced, stands under the west window; the Norman remains, mostly of the time of Henry II. comprise the south and east walls of the chancel and the arcades of both north aisles; that of the nave formerly consisted of four arches, but during some alterations in the Decorated period the two westernmost arches and the pillar were removed and replaced by one wide arch (the deposed Norman capital being taken to the neighbouring church of Stanground, where in an inverted position it forms the base of a Decorated pier): the Transitional period is illustrated by two small shafts with floriated capitals in the chancel arch; and there are some Early English lancet windows and other details: the rest of the edifice, including the south aisle, tower, and the restored porch, are Decorated work: in the chancel is a low-side window: a narrow rood staircase remains in the chancel arch, and in the north aisle of the nave a small aumbry: the stained east window was erected in memory of George Copley esq. a former churchwarden: the church was partially restored in 1872, and in 1901 the south aisle was restored and enlarged at a cost of £700, and there are now 340 sittings. The churchyard was closed to interments in 1893.
United Methodist chapel
There is a United Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fletton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fletton (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.