Fen Stanton, Huntingdonshire
Fen Stanton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands near the river Ouse, on the border of Cambridgeshire, 2 miles S of St Ives, which is the nearest railway station, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Ives. Acreage, 2584; population, 975. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £168 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. There are Congregational and Calvinistic Baptist chapels. A town estate of 94 acres produces about £88, which is devoted to the poor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fen-Stanton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of 1 acre was presented to the parish by the late Thomas Coote esq. D.L., J.P. (d. 1906).
The parish register dates from about 1612.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire containing 5 bells: the chancel is a very fine specimen of Decorated work: the east window is a memorial to the Rev. Stanley Walton M.A. a former vicar, who died in May, 1875, and there are other memorial windows to Miss Cowling, d. 1884, and Mrs. Haylock Watson: the church will seat 375 persons.
Calvinistic Baptist chapel
There is a Calvinistic Baptist chapel.
The Congregational chapel is a building of stone, in the Early English style, erected in 1874.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fen Stanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fen-Stanton (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.