Farcet, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, on the G.N.R., near the Old river Nen, 2½ miles S by E from Peterborough, with a post and money order office under Peterborough; telegraph office, Yaxley. Acreage, 4487; population of the civil parish, 812; of the ecclesiastical, 680. Much of the surface is fen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £350 with residence. Patrons, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is a small but very ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Gothic style. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; an endowed school, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The separate register dates from the year 1645.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small but ancient building of stone, dating from about 1200, and chiefly in the Gothic style, the tower being Transition Norman: it consists of clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the interior retains a locker, a piscina and a stone seat, and the east window is stained: the pulpit dates from 1614: the structure was thoroughly restored in 1852 at the expense of the Rev. Robert Cory B.D. vicar, 1842-85: the church plate includes an ancient and curious cylindrical chalice of silver, inscribed round the rim with the legend:-"The Towne of Favset:" the tower, a good example of its style, was restored during the period 1894-7, at a cost of about £400: there are 210 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farcet from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.