Eynesbury, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire,. adjacent to St Neots. The parish includes the hamlet of Weald, and its post town is St Neots. Acreage, 3043; population, 1327. Brickmaking is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £400 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Sandwich. The church is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles,, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Eynesbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of half an acre, situated on the west side of the church, was formed in 1856 at a cost of £200, and consecrated in 1868.
The parish register dates from the year 1539.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, erected in the 17th century, and containing 6 bells: the north porch was erected as a memorial to Lieut.-Col. Wm. Humbley, d. Oct. 26, 1857, and whose remains, with those of his wife, d. Sept. 1, 1871, are interred beneath it: there are two brasses to John Nicholson (whose family have been great benefactors to the parish) and the late Lieut.-Col. Humbley: five of the windows are stained, and in 1858 the edifice was thoroughly restored and beautified: an organ was placed in the church in 1866: there are 460 sittings: the churchyard is closed against interments.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here, built in 1855 and seating 200 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description for Eynesbury from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839
We have transcribed the entry for Eynesbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eynesbury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.