Ellington, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, on an affluent of the river Ouse, 5 miles W of Huntingdon, with a post and telegraph office under Huntingdon; money order office, Spaldwick. Acreage, 2700; population, 333. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value,. £168 with residence. Patron, St Peter's College, Cambridge.. The church, is good, and there are a Baptist chapel and charities £73.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ellington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1608.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a fine structure, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 4 bells, tuned and restored in 1904: the chancel was rebuilt in 1863, under the direction of the late Sir Gilbert Scott, and at the expense of the patrons of the living: the spire was restored in 1809, and the nave roof in 1908: there are 300 sittings.
There is a small Baptist chapel, built in 1837.
Brethren Meeting House
There is a place of worship for the Plymouth Brethren.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ellington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.