Easton, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 3 miles NW from Grafham station on the M.R., and 6¼ W from Huntingdon. Post town, Huntingdon; money order office, Spaldwick; telegraph office, Ellington. Acreage, 1353; population, 133. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, to which the vicarage of Stow Linga was annexed in 1865; joint net yearly value, £247. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is a small building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, and there is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Easton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1708.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, with Early Perpendicular windows, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle with an arcade of four arches, north porch and a western tower with broad spire, relieved by three tiers of dormers and containing 4 bells: the south aisle has an Early English arcade, at the east end of which are the steps and doorway leading to the rood loft, and a piscina: the oak roof is dated 1630, and an oak screen separates nave and chancel: in 1904 the nave was restored at a cost of £550, and the chancel, in 1905, at the cost of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: there are 100 sittings.
Wesleyan Methodist chapel
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel, erected in 1840, was later used at a parish room.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Easton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Easton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.