Diddington, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, near the river Ouse, 2 miles S from Buckden station on the M.R., 2½ SW from Offord station on the G.N.R., 4 N from St Neot's, and 5 SW from Huntingdon. The parish includes part of Boughton hamlet, and its post town is Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Buckden. Acreage, 1298; population, 184. Diddington Hall, the seat of the Thornhill family, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £150 with residence. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century, and is a small building of brick and stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Diddington St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1688.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence, built in the 14th century, probably on the foundations of an older church, dating from the 11th century, is a small edifice of brick and stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: in the church are mural brasses, with effigies in heraldic costume and six Latin verses, to William Tayllard, ob. 1505, and Elizabeth (Anstye) his wife; on either side are shafts, enriched with figures of Our Lord, the Blessed Virgin, and various saints: there are other brasses to Alice (Wattes), widow of William Tayllard, ob. 1513, and three children, and also a figure of the Virgin and Child: the church affords 180 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Diddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Diddington (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.