Denton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, on Holme brook, 1½ mile SSW from Stilton, and 3½ miles W by S from Holme station on the G.N.R. Post town, Peterborough; money order and telegraph office, Stilton. Acreage of the civil parish, 1031; population, 60; of the ecclesiastical, 83. The living is a rectory, with that of Caldecot annexed, in the diocese of Ely; joint net yearly value, £105. The church was partly rebuilt in 1665, has arms of the Cottons, and is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles. Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, Bart., the founder of the Cottontail library, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Denton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1546.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and small western tower, with pyramidal roof, containing 2 bells: the interior was thoroughly restored in 1865: there are 90 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Denton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Denton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.