Covington, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, at the boundary with Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire, 2¼ miles NW of Kimbolton station on the M.R., and 6¼ E of Higham-Ferrars, with a post office under St Neots; money order and telegraph office, Kimbolton. Acreage, 1294; population, 122. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £116 with residence. The church is a small building of stone in the Transition Norman style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Covington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1539.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret (anciently All Saints) is a small building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low western tower with pyramidal roof containing 3 bells: the north door has a quaint Norman design in the tympanum, representing two griffins beneath an enriched semi-circular arch: in the chancel is a fine triple lancet window, on the south side of which is a trefoil arched piscina: on the north side is an aumbry; there was formerly a chapel on the south side of the nave, but the arch which opened to it is now filled in with masonry, pierced by a good Decorated window; adjoining is a small piscina: the font consists of two rude basins with Norman mouldings, the lower, which is inverted, being of Saxon date: in a window of the chancel is a fragment of ancient stained glass, representing the arms of Sir Robert de Bayeux, or Bayouse, a Norman lord of the manor of Covington, who sat for the county in the Parliament of 1309: the edifice was restored in 1882-3 at a cost of upwards of £1,000, raised chiefly by public subscription and the accumulated funds derived from church lands: there are 109 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Covington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Covington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.