Connington, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 2½ miles SW of Holrne station on the G.N.R., and 2½ SSE of Stilton. It has a post office under Peterborough; money order and telegraph office, Sawtry. Acreage, 3175; population, 286. Connington Castle, a castellated mansion, is the seat of the Heathcote family. Connington Fen is a drained tract in the east. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £391 with residence. The church is a building of Ketton stone in the Perpendicular style; has two chapels, a Norman font, a tablet to Prince David, and monuments of the Cottons, and is very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Conington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1583.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, standing very near the eastern wing of Conington Castle, is a beautiful edifice of Ketton stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, lady chapel, south porch and a fine embattled western tower with four large octagonal pinnacles, and containing a clock and 6 bells: there are monuments to David I. King of Scotland, and one to Prince Henry, his son, erected by Sir Robert Cotton kt.; Thomas Cotton. ob. 9 Hen. VIII. (1518-19) and Joan (Paris), his wife; Thomas Cotton, sheriff of Hunts in 1547, and Lucy (Harvey), his wife; Thomas Cotton M.P. for Hunts 1553-4 and 1557-8, and Eliza (Shirley), his wife; Sir Robert Cotton kt. and bart. collector of the famous Cottonian Library; now in the British Museum, ob. 6 May, 1631; Sir John Cotton bart. M.P. for Hunts in 1711, who died in London, 5 Feb. 1731, and Catherine Cotton, d. 1714: there is also a memorial to the Hon. Emily Frances Heathcote, third daughter of Nicholas William, Baron Colbourne, and wife of John Moyer Heathcote esq.; she died 13th October, 1849: in 1912 two monuments were erected, one to John Moyer Heathcote esq. (d. Aug. 3rd, 1912), the other to his wife, Louisa Cecilia Heathcote (d. Jan. 20th, 1910), by their family: in the church is a marble figure of a knight in chain armour and wearing a monk's cowl: there is also a carved oak chair, reputed to have been used by Mary Queen of Scots at Fotheringay: there are 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Connington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Conington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.