Colne, a parish in Huntingdonshire, adjacent to the river Ouse, 1 mile SE of Somersham station on the G.E.R., the .same distance from Bluntisham station, and 5½ miles NE of St Ives. It has a post office under St Ives; money order and telegraph office, Bluntisham. Acreage, 1753; population, 305. The living is a curacy, annexed with that of Pidley to the vicarage of Somersham, in the diocese of Ely; joint net yearly value, —£600. The church is Early English, with an internally-situated tower, and there is also a Baptist .chapel. There is the site of an old Roman settlement in this parish which is known as the " camp ground."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Colne St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1665.
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The original church, dedicated to St. Helen, was almost half a mile from the village, and appears to have been erected about the time of Henry III. It consisted of nave with aisles and south porch, and a low tower at the west end containing four bells. It fell down in 1896. The present church of St. Helen, erected in 1900 on a new site, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, south porch and a low embattled tower at the west end containing 4 bells, and will seat about 200 persons.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1870, with 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Colne (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.