Bythorn, a parish in Huntingdonshire, on the verge of the county, 3 miles NE from Raunds station on the M.R., 4½ ESE of Thrapston, and 7 NW by N of Kimbolton. It has a post office under Thrapston; money order office, Catworth; telegraph office, Raunds (R.S.) Acreage, 1570; population, 185. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed with that of Old Weston to the rectory of Brington, in the diocese of Ely; joint net yearly value, £141 with residence, in the gift of Clare College, Cambridge. The church is Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bythorn St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north chapel, south porch and a western tower with lofty octagonal broach spire relieved by three tiers of dormers on the cardinal faces, and containing 4 bells: the edifice was restored in 1870, at the expense of the Rev. John George and the mother of the late T. George esq.: the chancel was restored in 1874 by the Rev. John Bell M.A. rector, 1857-83: there are 140 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1809.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bythorn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bythorn (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.