Bury, a parish in Huntingdonshire, on an affluent of the river Nen, ½ of a mile S of Ramsey station on the G.N.R., and 8 miles N by W of St Ives. It has a post office under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Eamsey. Acreage, 1446; population of the civil parish, 377; of the ecclesiastical, 417. The manor belonged to Eamsey Abbey, and passed to successively the Williamses, the Bainbridges, and the Barnards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £112 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church is partly Norman and Early English, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bury Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
In 1905 a new burial ground was provided adjoining the churchyard.
The register dates from the year 1561.
Church of England
The Holy Cross (parish church)
The church of the Holy Cross, standing on an eminence, and originally cruciform, is a building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, now consisting only of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower: a fine Norman arch divides the chancel from the nave: in the nave is an ancient oak lectern, probably of the 14th century: the tower is a good specimen of Early English work, with bold buttresses at the angles; the three disengaged sides of the tower have arches supported on rich corbels, but on the north and south sides these arches have been rudely walled up: in 1889 the interior was thoroughly restored: there are about 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description for Bury from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839
We have transcribed the entry for Bury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bury (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.