Buckworth, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 6 miles W of the G.N. R. station of Abbots Ripton, and 7 NW of Huntingdon. Post-town, Alconbury, which is the money order office; telegraph office, Huntingdon. Acreage, 2023; population, 178. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value £330 with residence. The church is a building of rubble in the Early English style, and was restored in 1862 and in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Buckworth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1664.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of rubble, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave: aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 5 bells: there are three memorial windows to the Shafto family: an organ was provided in 1895: the church has been restored, and in 1862 was new roofed: in 1884 the spire was restored and one of the bells recast: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buckworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Buckworth (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.