UK Genealogy Archives logo

Broughton, Huntingdonshire

Historical Description

Broughton, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 4 miles W of Warboys station on the G.E.R., and 5 NE of Huntingdon, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Warboys. Acreage, 2372; population, 301. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, about £220 with residence. The church, which was restored in 1888-89, has a very interesting Early English double piscina and an Early Norman font. There is also a Baptist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHuntingdonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBroughton All Saints 
Poor Law unionSt. Ives 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


A cemetery of half an acre was opened in 1900 at a cost of £200.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1571.


Church of England

All Saints (parish church)

The church of All Saints, standing nearly in the centre of the village, consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with broad spire, containing 4 bells, which were rehung and restored in 1901; the spire was restored in 1910: there is an Early English double piscina of rather remarkable character, a font of Early Norman date and a very fine west window, and a Decorated window of three lights at the east end: on the north side of the chancel is a monument to the Rev. Robert Hudson, upwards of 61 years rector of the parish: the church was restored in 1845, when the chancel was new roofed and a vestry built at a cost of £300: during 1888-9 the nave was restored and the interior re-seated in oak, and various repairs effected at a total cost of about £600: in 1907 the south aisle was re-roofed and restored. In 1892, during further restoration of the interior, a mural painting of early 15th century date was discovered, extending across the top of the chancel arch: in 1897 a brass was placed in the chancel to Alan Brooke Johnston by his friends at Cambridge University: there are 250 sittings.


Baptist chapel

There is a Baptist chapel, erected by Benjamin How, sen. in 1861.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Broughton from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.

Postal districtPE28
Post TownHuntingdon