Brampton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, on the river Ouse, 1 mile N of Buckden station on the M.R., and 1½ WSW of Huntingdon, under which there is a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 3557; population, 1075. Brampton Park belonged to Sir John Barnard, who sat in the Parliament which restored Charles II. Samuel Pepys, secretary to the Admiralty under Charles II. and James II., frequently visited his uncle, who resided in Brampton. There are many allusions to these visits in his diary. It became the scat of the Sparrow family early in the present century. The mansion was mostly rebuilt in 1820, and contains some fine family paintings. It is now the property of the Duke of Manchester. The manor house, another important residence, was rebuilt in 1877. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is Later English, in very good condition, and has a monument to Sir John Barnard. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1889, a united chapel for Baptists and Congre-gationalists, and a Roman Catholic College.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brampton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from 1653; burials, 1658: marriages, 1675.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, standing on an elevated spot on the banks of the river Ouse, at the northern extremity of the village, is a handsome edifice of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, lofty clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells, and there is also a sanctus bell: the chancel is Decorated: the tower bears the date 1635: the font has an octagonal basin, ornamented with sculpture: at the east end of the south aisle is a munument to Sir John Bernard kt. and bart. M.P. for Huntingdon in 1654 and 1658, ob. June, 1679; there are others to Brigadier-General Robert Bernard Sparrow, husband of the late Lady Olivia Bernard Sparrow, who died August 29, 1805, on board the ship in which he was returning to England from Barbadoes, and was buried at Tortola; their son and their daughter, Millicent, wife of George, 6th Duke of Manchester, who died November 21, 1848, and was buried at Kimbolton; the same monument records the death of Lady Olivia Bernard Sparrow, February 12, 1863: there are three memorial windows in the nave to the Sandwich family, and others to Mrs. Budge, the wife of the Rev. H. S. Budge M.A. rector 1882-1912, and to the late Gen. Philip Smith: the church was reseated in 1835 and thoroughly restored in 1878, and now affords sittings for 600 persons.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel is a structure of brick, erected in 1889 at a cost of £280, and will seat 120 persons.
There is a joint chapel for Baptists and Congregationalists, erected in 1865 from the designs of the late Robert Hutchinson esq. of Huntingdon, at a cost (including site) of £800; it is of white brick, with red brick and stone dressings, and will seat about 300 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description for Brampton from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839
We have transcribed the entry for Brampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brampton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.