Bluntisham with Earith, Huntingdonshire
Bluntisham-with-Earith, a village and a parish comprising the townships of Bluntisham and Earith in Huntingdonshire. The village lies on the river Ouse, 4¼ miles NE from St Ives, and has a station at Earith Bridge on the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Ives. The parish comprises 3454 acres; population of the civil parish, 1065; of the ecclesiastical, 1044. The manor was given in 1015 to Ely Abbey, and now belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £934 with residence, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is Early English, terminates in the east in a half hexagon, and has a screen, a piscina, and an octagonal font. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bluntisham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a fine structure, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, with clerestory, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, with spire, containing 8 bells: the chancel, of the Decorated period, has three eastern gables, and the south aisle retains a piscina: among the monuments in the church is one to Dr. Sam uel Knight, chaplain to George I. and rector of this place, who wrote the lives of John Colet D.D. dean of St. Paul's, and Erasmus, and died here 10 Dec. 1746, age 72 years: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Richard Tillard, a former rector, and in the south aisle is a memorial window to James Johnson Godfrey, 18 years warden, who died 21 March, 1900: in 1904-5 the south aisle and tower were restored at a cost of nearly £900: in the church is a list of rectors from the year 1217: there are 360 sittings. In 1898 an addition of half an acre was made to the churchyard, at a cost of £100.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description for Bluntisham from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839
We have transcribed the entry for Bluntisham with Earith from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bluntisham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.