Barham, a parish in Huntingdonshire, on a tributary of the river Ouse, 7 miles WNW of Huntingdon, and 4½ N of Graffham station on the M.R. Spaldwick is the post town and money order office; telegraph office, Ellington. Acreage, 742; population, 57. The living is a vicarage, consolidated in 1868 with that of Spaldwick, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barham St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1597.
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The church of St. Giles is a small but neat building of stone, chiefly of the Early English period, with some Norman details, consisting of chancel and nave, north aisle, south porch and a turret on the western gable containing one bell: in 1905 the chancel was restored and the nave in part, at a cost of about £140: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barham (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.