Alconbury or Alkmundbury, a parish in Huntingdonshire, on the Alconbury brook, near Ermine Street, 3 miles from Abbots Ripton station on the G.N.R., and 5 NW from Huntingdon, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 3797; population, 654. Alconbury Hill commands a fine view. Alconbury brook rises on the confines of Northamptonshire, and runs about 3 miles south-eastward to the Ouse at Huntingdon. The living includes Alconbury-Weston, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £230 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is an ancient building of Barnack rag and rubble in the Early English style. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Alconbury-Weston is a parish about 1 mile W of Alconbury, united to Alconbury ecclesiastically and forming the parish of Alconbury-cum-Weston. Acreage, 1735; population, 337. Here is a Mission room, built in 1879, and a Baptist chapel. There is one church for the two parishes, restored in 1877, when the tower was entirely rebuilt.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alconbury St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of Barnack rag and rubble, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, 3 of which were recast and a new one added in 1877; the church was thoroughly restored in 1877, under the direction of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, at a cost of about £5,000, when the lower part of the tower was under-built, the pews replaced by open benches, and an organ presented by G. J. Rust esq.: a memorial window to the late James Rust esq. was erected about 1877, and another, to the late Mrs. Rust, in 1902: there are 450 sittings. In 1902 a brass lectern was placed on the communion table.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alconbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alconbury (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Alconbury are available from a number of sites: