Abbotsley, a village and a parish in Huntingdon, 5 miles SE from St Neots station on the G.N.R., and 5 NW from Gamlingay station on the L. & N.W.R., with a post office under St Neots, which is the money order and telegraph office. Area, 1723 acres; population, 365. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; yearly value, £170. The church, which dates from the 14th century, is in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbotsley St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1725, and marriages from 1754.
Church of England
St. Margaret of Antioch (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret of Antioch is an ancient building of clunch and rubble, in the Early English style of the 14th century, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with four statues of kings in place of pinnacles at the angles, and containing a clock and 5 bells: the church was partially restored in 1854, when the nave was new roofed and open seats substituted for the old pews: in 1861 a new chancel and north porch were erected and other Improvements carried out, under the superintendence of Mr. W. Butterfield, architect: the tower was restored in 1884 by Mr. J. P. St. Aubyn, architect, when the two figures on the north side which had fallen were replaced by others of a similar character, and a new weathercock fixed, at the total cost of £400: there are 261 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Abbotsley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Abbotsley (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.