Abbotts Ripton, Huntingdonshire
Abbotts-Ripton, a village and a parish in Hunts, 5 miles N of Huntingdon, with a station on the G.N.R. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; yearly value, £468. The church is an ancient building, of stone in the Early English style. Abbotts-Ripton Hall is a seat of the De Ramsay family. The parish, which includes the hamlet of Wennington, 1 mile NE of the village, has an area of 4191 acres; population, 391. There is a post office under Huntingdon, which is the money order and telegraph office.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbott's Ripton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a low western embattled tower containing 3 bells, and a clock placed in 1881 as a memorial to the Rev. Plummer Pott Rooper: the church generally was restored by subscription in 1858; the roofs of the nave and south aisle were renewed in 1868 as a memorial to Frances Rooper, who died at Tunbridge Wells, June 6th, 1867, by her brothers and sister; there are sittings for 150 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Abbotts Ripton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ripton, Abbott's (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.