Wyddiall or Widdial, Hertfordshire
Wyddiall or Widdial, a village and a parish in Herts, the former 1½ mile NE of Buntingford, which town is partly within this parish, and has a station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Buntingford. Acreage of the civil parish, 1542; population, 282; of the ecclesiastical, 241. Wyddial Hall, which stands in a park of about 100 acres, is a seat of the Heaton-Ellis family, who own the manor and most of the land. The NE entrance to the parish is called Cave Gate, from its being near the former entrance to a subterranean passage from Anstey Castle, which once stood here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £203 with residence. The church is a building partly ancient and partly modern, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle and chapel, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some good stained windows, some old monuments and brasses, and two Jacobean screens.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wyddiall St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wyddiall or Widdial from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wyddiall (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.