Wormley, a parish, with a village, in Herts, on the Lea river, 1 mile SSW of Broxbourne station on the London and Cambridge section of the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Broxbourne (S.O.) Acreage, 946; population, 871. The manor was given by Harold to Waltham Abbey, went at the dissolution of monasteries to the Norths, passed to the Cromwells, and, with Wormleybury House, belongs now to the Bushby family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £270 with residence. The church, which dates from the 12th century, is an edifice of flint and brick, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and western bell-turret. It has some ancient tombs and brasses, some good memorial windows, and a Norman font. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wormley St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wormley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wormley (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Wormley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.