Wigginton, a parish, with a village, in Herts, 1½ mile SSW of Tring station on the main line of the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Tring; money order and telegraph office, Tring. Acreage, 1674; population, 707. The manor belongs to the Harcourt family. Champneys is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £118 with residence. The church is a small building of flint and stone chiefly in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wigginton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wigginton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wigginton (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Wigginton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.