Weston, a parish, with a village and the hamlets of Hall's Green, Warren's Green, and Weston Dane End, in Herts, 3 miles SSE of Baldock station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the G.N.R., 4 NE from Stevenage, and 6 E from Hitchin. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stevenage, and a fair for pleasure on 11 June. Acreage, 4540; population of the civil parish, 806; of the ecclesiastical, 876. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Weston Manor House belongs to the Pryor family, who own the manor and much of the land. Straw-plait is made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £150 with residence. The church, an ancient building of flint and stone in the Norman and Early English styles, dates from about 1200, and consists of chancel, N transept, nave, S aisle, vestry, S porch, and an embattled central tower. There are Catholic Apostolic and Wesleyan chapels, two endowed almshouses, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weston Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||St. Albans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weston (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Weston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.