Farnham Royal, Buckinghamshire
Farnham Royal, a parish in Bucks, 3¼ miles N from Eton, and 3 N by W from Slough station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office (R.S.O.) under Farnham Common 5 telegraph office, Farnham Common. Acreage, 1663; population of the civil parish. 1053; of the ecclesiastical, 1302. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £500 with residence. Patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church was almost wholly rebuilt in 1868. There are Baptist and Free Methodist chapels, and a mission hall. Hedgerley Dean is a hamlet 3 miles northeast.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Farnham-Royal St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Eton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1635.
Church of England
St. John the Evangelist, Farnham Common
The church of St. John the Evangelist, Farnham Common, erected in 1908, and since enlarged, is a plain building of brick with stone dressings: there are 250 sittings: it is served by the clergy of St. Mary's.
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is a building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles and a western tower containing 8 bells, 2 of which were added to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria: the chancel, which is the only remaining part of the original edifice, supposed to date from the 12th century, retains a Norman window and a piscina of Early English date; the nave, aisles and tower are modern, the latter having been erected in 1868: in the church is a brass to Eustace Mascoll: there are nine stained windows and a font of Perpendicular character: the iron screen and chancel decoration and the churchyard cross Were the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Carr-Gomm: the church affords 347 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Farnham Royal was in Eton Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farnham Royal from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Farnham-Royal (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Farnham Royal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHedgerley Dean
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online