Westmill, a parish, with a village, in Herts, on the river Rib, 1½ mile S by E of Buntingford, and 8 miles S from Royston. It has a station on the Buntingford branch of the G.E.R., and a post office under Buntingford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Buntingford. Acreage, 2670; population, 348. Coles Park is a good country mansion in the Elizabethan style, standing in a park of about 140 acres. Two Roman cups were found in 1728. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value. £434 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Mexborough. The church is a plain building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower with spire. It has some good stained windows, and some ancient memorials. Cherry Green, Wakeley, and Westmill Green are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Westmill St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Westmill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Westmill (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.