Welwyn, a small town and a parish in Herts. The town is situated on the Great North Road, 5 miles N from Hatfield, 7 W from Hertford, and 25 from London, It has a station on the main line of the G.N.R., and is crossed by the river Maran or Mimran. Welwyn consists chiefly of two well-built streets, and has a head post office, two good hotels, a parish hall erected in 1887, a police station, and a workhouse. It is the head of a union and petty sessional division. The parish includes Woolmer Green hamlet, and comprises 3063 acres; population of the civil parish, 1745; of the ecclesiastical, 1754. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The manor belongs to the rector of Welwyn. Danesbury, the Frythe, the Grange, and Lockleys are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £474 with residence. Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The church, which stands in the centre of the town, is an ancient building chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with S aisle, vestry and organ chamber, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western embattled and pinnacled tower. It has some good stained windows. Dr Young was rector, and wrote here his " Night Thoughts." Woolmer Green is a hamlet 2 miles N.E. It has an ancient manor house now occupied as a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Welwyn St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welwyn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Welwyn (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Welwyn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.