Watton or Watton at Stone, Hertfordshire
Watton or Watton-at-Stone, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on the river Beane, 4½ miles N by W of Hertford, and 3½ SE from Knebworth station on the G.N.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hertford. Acreage of the civil parish, 3585; population, 807; of the ecclesiastical, 817. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The manor, with Woodhall Park, belongs to the Smith family. Watton House is a chief residence. There is a large water-mill in the village. Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £500 with residence. The church, dedicated to St Andrew and St Mary, is an ancient building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with N chapel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower. It was restored in 1851 at a cost of £7000. It has a brass of 1361, several of later date, and some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Watton St. Mary and St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Watton or Watton at Stone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Watton (St. Mary and St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.