Walden St Pauls, Hertfordshire
Walden St Paul's, a village and a large parish in Herts, 4½ miles NW from Knebworth station on the G.N.R., and 6 S from Hitchin. The parish includes the hamlet of Whitwell, where there is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Welwyn. Acreage, 3698 of land and 22 of water; population, 946. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. Walden Abbots or St Paul's, Walden Bury, the seat of Lord Glamis, is a brick mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church is a building of flint and rubble in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. At Whitwell there are Congregational and Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapels, and at the hamlet of Bendish, 2½ miles NW, there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Walden St. Paul's All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walden St Pauls from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Walden St. Paul's (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.