Totteridge, a parish, with a village, in Hertfordshire, 2 miles SW of Barnet, and 1 mile from Totteridge and Whetstone station on the High Bamet branch of the G.N.R. It has a post office under Whetstone; money order and telegraph office, Whetstone. Acreage, 1605; population, 785. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Lee family. There are many good residences in the parish. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Bishops Hatfield, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £225 with residence. The church was enlarged in 1869, and consists of chancel with vestry and organ chamber, nave, W porch, and a low embattled western tower. An immense yew tree, supposed to be nearly 1000 years old, stands in the churchyard. There are several useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Totteridge St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Berkhampstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Totteridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Totteridge (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Totteridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.