Totteridge, a parish, with a village, in Hertfordshire, 2 miles SW of Barnet, and 1 mile from Totteridge and Whetstone station on the High Bamet branch of the G.N.R. It has a post office under Whetstone; money order and telegraph office, Whetstone. Acreage, 1605; population, 785. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Lee family. There are many good residences in the parish. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Bishops Hatfield, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £225 with residence. The church was enlarged in 1869, and consists of chancel with vestry and organ chamber, nave, W porch, and a low embattled western tower. An immense yew tree, supposed to be nearly 1000 years old, stands in the churchyard. There are several useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Totteridge St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Berkhampstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Totteridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Totteridge (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.