Therfield, a parish, with a village, in Herts, 3 miles SSW of Royston station on the G.N.R., and 7 NE from Baldock. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Royston. Acreage, 4716; population of the civil parish, 996; of the ecclesiastical, 739. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. By an order of the Herts County Council, about 117 acres lying within the Royston special drainage district was taken from the parish of Therfield in 1895 and added to the parish of Royston. There are four manors in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £562 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church is a building of flint and rubble in the Decorated style. There are a Congregational chapel and two charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Therfield St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Therfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Therfield (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Therfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.