Pelham Stocking or Pelham Parva, Hertfordshire
Pelham Stocking or Pelham Parva, a parish in Herts, adjacent to Essex, 5½ miles NE from Braughing station on the Buntingford branch of the G.E.R., and 6 E of Buntingford. Post town and telegraph office, Buntingford; money order office, Hare Street, Great Hormead. Acreage, 647; population, 144. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £105 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a small but very ancient building of flint in the Early Pointed style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a small bell-turret of wood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stocking Pelham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hitchin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pelham Stocking or Pelham Parva from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pelham, Stocking (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.