Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire
Stanstead Abbots, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands on the river Lea and on the G.E.R., at St Margarets station, 2½ miles SSE of Ware, and 4 W from Hertford. It was a borough at Domesday, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ware. The parish comprises 2614 acres; population, 1322. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to Waltham Abbey, and passed to the Baeshes and others, and now belongs to the Fowell-Buxton family. Easneye is a red brick mansion in the Tudor style, standing in a park of 133 acres. Bonningtons is an ancient mansion, erected in the early part of the seventeenth century, standing in a well-wooded park of 100 acres. Stansteadbury House, Stanstead Hall, and Netherfield are also chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £260 with residence. The new church, dedicated to St Andrew, which was appointed to be the parish church in 1882, is a cruciform building of flint and brick in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, W porch, and an embattled western tower. The old church,. which stands about a mile from the village, is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N chapel, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by a low spire of wood. It contains some brasses of 1540 and 1581, and several ancient tombs and monuments. There is also a chapel belonging to the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, and there are six endowed almshouses and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanstead Abbots' St. James|
|Poor Law union||Ware|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanstead Abbots from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanstead, Abbots' (St. James))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.