UK Genealogy Archives logo

St Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Ippollitts or St Ippolyts, a village and a parish in Herts. The village stands near the G.N.R., 2 miles SSE of Hitchin station, and is small. The parish contains also places called Gosmore, Ashbrook, and Little AImshoe, and is scattered. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hitchin. Acreage, 2939; population, 894. A tumulus is at Gosmore and another is a mile S. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Great Wymondley, in the diocese of St Albans; net value,, £176. The church is of the 14th and 15th centuries, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with porches and a tower with six bells, and contains an open Tudor screen.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of St Ippolyts are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNorth Hertfordshire
CountyHertfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtSG4
Post TownHitchin